Friday, March 13, 2009

Chicken Fried Steak and Cream Gravy

It has been cold this week, and raining for the last 3 days straight. I don't live in Forks, Washington people (if you understand this reference, then you and I are kindred spirits:)- it's Texas. My poor Golden Retriever is going CRAZY inside. Not to mention, my active 4 and 3 year old. I have enjoyed the cold weather for one reason. I have been able to do some of my "cold weather" recipes one more time, before the 7-month long season of summer hits.
Chicken Fried Steak is a southern staple, and very easy. The gravy is not hard- but can be intimidating if you have never done it or seen it done. I watched my Dad and Granny make it for years before I attempted it. I hope my pictures can give you the confidence to try it because- oh, man!! Nothin' like chicken fried steak and cream gravy to warm your tummy and leave you feeling comforted. Plus, I had a good friend ask me how to make it, and it was on sale last time I went to the store- it was meant to be!!

Chicken Fried Steak
cube steak
salt and pepper
flour for dredging steaks
butter (I used about 3-4 Tbsp)
flour (start with 1/2 cup)
milk, preferably whole or 2%
Cube steak, not an expensive cut of meat! Season with salt and pepper

Dredge in flour that has also been seasoned with salt and pepper
Heat a few teaspoons of oil at medium in a pan.
Brown the steaks on both sides, 4-6 minutes each.
Nice and brown.
Set the steaks aside. DO NOT DRAIN THE PAN. You need the fat and "bits" to make the gravy. Add the butter to the pan that you cooked the steaks in and DID NOT DRAIN. Turn heat on low.
Add flour and stir together. This will get the bits from the pan, and you will have a paste.
Paste, but really called a rue.
Add milk (or half and half or cream- it has to have some fat in it,
that is why skim milk will NOT work)
Stir milk and rue together, on LOW heat.
The gravy will start to thicken and come together quickly. Season with salt and pepper. If you need more gravy or it's too thick for your liking, add more milk and stir until it get the consistency that you like. If it is too thin, add more flour.
Pour gravy over the steaks, and serve along side mashed potatoes. You HAVE to serve mashed potatoes with your chicken fried steak!!

I was given the coolest gift a while back- an Amish Friendship Bread starter!! It is batter that comes in a bag with instructions on how to make the bread. The bread takes 10 days, and when you are ready to make it, you divide up some of the batter in 4 bags and give to friends. There is no way to make the bread unless you are given a starter. That's why it's called Friendship Bread!! I am on Day 7, and will be baking the bread on Monday. I will also have 3 starters to give away (I always keep one for myself, so I can keep making the bread!!) If you are interested in getting a starter, email me your address (icooktexasATgmailDOTCOM) and I will send the starter and instructions to you. It's a sweet bread, that is dense and very yummy. We like it for breakfast or a snack. I have also been making variations of the original, but now I have said too much. Look for the Amish Friendship Bread post on Monday!

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Oh yum,chicken fried steak is so good. Friendship bread is so neat. I would do it over here but there is noone else to pass it along to or even get it from..lol