Saturday, July 4, 2009

Whole Roasted Chicken

Before last week, I had never roasted a whole chicken before. My husband doesn't like eating chicken from the bone, so I never bought a whole chicken. Lately, though, I have been buying the rotisserie chickens when they are on sale at the store ($4.99), chopping them up and getting a few dinners out of the meat. So, this time, I did the roasting. The whole chicken was on sale and I got it for $3.81, cheaper than the rotisserie. Now, I know how to roast a chicken, so I can buy a whole chicken if it's cheaper than buying the pre-cooked one.

Whole Roasted Chicken
whole chicken (make sure you remove the what-not from the inside of the chicken)
fresh herbs, halved lemon (optional)
salt and pepper
butter

I made a paste with the butter, salt and pepper and rubbed that all over the chicken, and under the skin onto the breasts.I stuffed the chicken with 2 lemon halves, and a bundle of fresh herbs.I roasted it for 50 minutes at 450 on a cooling rack with a baking sheet underneath it.
Then, I let it cool and chopped it up. I made chicken salad for my husband to take to work and we had more of it last night in our avocado caesar salad* with chicken. We still have enough chicken for another meal. Pretty good for $3.81!!
*Just add mashed avocado to your regular caesar dressing and mix well, then add sliced avocado on top of the salad with the chicken. YUM! Great summer meal.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Roast chicken smells and tastes wonderful! My usband is the same way..he doesnt like bone in chicken. I de-bone all the meat and it makes enough for two meals. I do the same with the big chicken leg quarters. I put them in the crockpot,de-bone them and use them in a bunch of different recipes.