Saturday, November 8, 2008

Tips for Today

Grocery store tips! I have been reminded this week how important my relationship with my grocery store is. I started going there because it was a new one in the area and it had a gas station with it. I don't mind saying- it's Kroger. If you use the Plus Card and spend at least $100, you get 10 cents off per gallon for gas. So I started going there for all my grocery trips. Since I go there twice a month, and use my Plus Card, they have a database or something that keeps track of all I buy. Last week, in the mail, I got a packet of coupons JUST based on stuff I buy. Milk, wipes, crescent rolls, cheese, eggs- things I buy everytime I go. Not only does this save me money (several of these coupons were getting these items FREE), but it definitely keeps me coming back!! They are taking care of me!
- Before I go to the grocery store, I check the ad for Kroger. Whatever meat is on sale, that is what I am buying. That dictates what meals we are having, and what other ingredients I need to go with it. The meat is the most expensive, so that is what I look at first. For example, when I went to the store on the 1st, they were having a good sale on pork tenderloin, salmon and chicken. So I got a big package of chicken tenders (cheaper than breasts), salmon and a pork tenderloin. Then I got produce and whatever we were already out of and needed for lunches.

- I clip coupons. On the first of the month trip, I saved $12 in coupons alone. I know there are people who really know how to do it, and save much more than that, but every little bit helps!

- I buy fresh fruit and canned. The fresh fruit usually lasts us through the first week, and then I go on to the canned goods (in juice, not syrup) to get us through the next week until the next shopping trip. This brings me to my next point...

- I buy store brand. I really do! I used to be a brand name snob, and still am on a few items. But, I seriously cannot tell the difference and it saves 10-20 (sometimes more) cents per can on canned goods, and butter is almost a dollar cheaper. Kroger has good butter.

Hope these help you get the most for your money! Do you have a good grocery store tip to share?

2 comments:

jennifer said...

Thats great!! I wish my grocery store sent coupons like that!

When I go shopping, I always make my lists in order of the aisles. This keeps me on task, not wandering around, and sneaking things into the cart that we don't need!

Deasha said...

Another place I get coupons is www.mypoints.com. You can get points for coupons printed and used also if shop from the site you get points too. The points then get you gift cards. The gift cards are great gifts especially at Christmas time.