Saturday, December 20, 2008

Chili

This is my Grandmother's recipe, that my mom has since given to me. I really like it, it is not a super spicy chili (although you could make it that way on your own), and there is not a lot of extra ingredients in it, it is a simple, meaty chili. We also use this is as the topping for cheese enchiladas- YUM!
* The recipe calls for ground chili meat, which they only have this time of year. It is a thicker beef that has not been ground down as much as ground beef. I have never done this before, but this time I used roast. I cut it up into chunks (like for stew) and then continued the same directions. I used a crockpot because I wanted the chili to simmer for longer than usual, since I had the roast meat and I wanted to make sure it got tender.

Chili

I large can tomatoes (or 2 small)
I brick chili
1-1 1/2 lb. ground chili meat or roast meat, cut into chunks
5 slices bacon
1-2 onions, chopped
1 whole green pepper, insides removed
1 pod of garlic
beef broth

Brown the bacon in a large skillet pan.

Discard bacon (eat it, crumble it for the top of the chili, whatever you want!) and saute the onions in the bacon oil.
Dredge the chili meat in flour, season with salt and pepper
Add chili meat to onions, cook until browned
Meanwhile, in the crockpot (or dutch oven if you are not using the crockpot), add tomatoes, whole green pepper, garlic, beef broth (about 1 cup), and chili brick. Mix well.
Add chili meat mixture, stir.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours or in the oven at 350 for at least 1 1/2 hrs.
Discard the pepper and garlic, add chili powder to taste and serve.
We like crumbled crackers and lots of cheese on ours!!

No comments: