Thursday, October 9, 2008

Weekends are for breakfast

I don't do big breakfasts during the week, so one thing I like about the weekends is cooking breakfast. I LOVE breakfast foods, and would have breakfast for dinner if my husband would stand for it. I wanted to share last weekends breakfasts.

Doughnuts
1 can of biscuits
*I get the store brand 4-pack can of biscuits. They are cheap and they work great. I have used the bigger biscuits, like Grands, before but it didn't work as well.
oil
powdered sugar
water

Use a small biscuit cutter or the cap from a bottle water to make the doughnut holes. Heat the oil to medium. Do not get the oil to hot, they will burn and not be done in the middle. Drop the doughnuts in the oil. Turn when lightly golden, about 1 minute. Doesn't take long- don't go anywhere!!Mix powdered sugar and water in a bowl for the glaze. Usually a couple of cups of powdered sugar and just a few Tablespoons of water. Seriously- do not pour a lot of water in the powdered sugar- you can always add more if it's too thick, but I've wasted a half a bag of powdered sugar before trying to get the glaze thick enough. Roll the doughnuts around in the glaze, and set on a cooling rack. I set paper towels under the cooling rack to catch the drips of glaze.Enjoy!!!

Breakfast Hash
eggs
cheese
potato
meat
There is no specific recipe here because this is great for using leftovers. Seriously. I had Yukon gold potatoes and breakfast sausage in my fridge, so that is what I used. If you like ham or steak or whatever, use that.
Put a tablespoon of butter in a skillet and add potatoes. Cook for several minutes until golden in color. Add sausage (already cooked). Beat 3-4 eggs in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and pour in the skillet. The egg will bind everything together. Let sit for a minute or two, then flip. Cook other side for another minute, then serve on plates. Top with shredded cheese.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

I love those donuts soooo muuuuch. Now I want some...

sydney said...

homemade doughnuts.
a shaw classic.