Monday, January 5, 2009

Creamy Chicken with Cheddar Biscuits

This is a great hearty, warming meal for a cold, drizzly day just like we are having in Texas today. Unless you have an aversion to chicken like a sweet, pregnant friend of mine. Then this recipe probably doesn't sound very good.
I'm very excited about what I am making tonight for our cold, drizzly day- I hope it turns out great so I can share it!!
These are the best biscuits, and you can tell I love them because I have used them in several other recipes just since I started this blog. This recipe, however, is where the biscuits actually came from.

Creamy Chicken with Cheddar Biscuits
1/2 large onion
2 Tbsp. butter
4 cups chopped chicken, or 2 large cans canned chicken (drained)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk

Cheddar Biscuits
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 Tbsp. butter (cold, not super soft)
1/2 cup milk
In large bowl, combine flour and baking powder and a tsp. salt. Using your fingertips, blend in the butter and cheese, it will be like coarse crumbs. Pour in the milk and stir quickly with a fork to form a shaggy dough. Gather the dough together and knead lightly in the bowl. Turn onto a floured work surface and pat into a large round. Using a biscuit cutter (or a small glass), cut out 8 biscuits. You can gather the scraps and re-roll until you have enough biscuits or use all the dough.

Saute onion with butter until soft, at least 5 minutes.
I did not have chicken already cooked and chopped, so I cooked my chicken with my onions.
You can use canned chicken, it works beautifully.
Meanwhile, make biscuit dough. I have NEVER had this dough not come together. Yes, that was two negatives. This dough always works. It's easy, and they are very moist. I use these alot.
Mix the onion, chicken, soup, sour cream, milk and season with salt and pepper.
Spoon into a greased dish (smaller than a 13x9)
Place biscuits on top and bake for 35 minutes at 375.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

I think this recipe looks awesome! Thanks for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

This is one I would make for sure!! It's my kind of thing!
JenG

Sonya said...

yum!! I will add this to my must make list Thanks for sharing!!!

jennifer said...

Looks yummy and easy!!