Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pumpkin Yeast Rolls

Make these rolls. Just trust me- you want to make these rolls. Let's see- first off, they are easy. They aren't quick, but they are easy. And second- let's see, how do I put this- they are AMAZING. Buttery, dense yeast rolls- with pumpkin. Oh, I love these rolls.


Pumpkin Yeast Rolls
3 3/4 cup flour
1 package yeast
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c milk
1/4 c honey
1/2 c canned pumpkin
1 egg
1/2 cup warm water
1 stick butter

In a large bowl, mix flour, yeast and salt
(I add more salt, maybe 1.2 tsp.)

Pour the milk into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
Whisk in the honey, squash, egg and water.

With a fork, blend the squash mixture into the flour mixture until you have a soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour. (You can go longer than this. When I made them for Thanksgiving, I did this part the day before and they refrigerated all night.)

Two hours before baking, turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly. Melt the butter and set aside in a small bowl. Divide the dough in half.

Divide each half into 6 sections.
Divide each section into 3 pieces.Roll each section in the melted butter and place in a muffin cup.
There are 3 buttered pieces per cup.
Pour the rest of the butter over each roll.
Let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Bake for 15-17 minutes in a 350 oven.
Seriously- these are good rolls. I meant to freeze half of the dough to see how that would work, if they would thaw and still rise a second time, but I forgot. Oh, darn. I guess I will just have to make them again. The sacrifices I make for having a cooking blog.
We are at home today. School's closed!! No snow, just ice. The kids have already been outside sliding around on the driveway and sliding down my dad's driveway in a box (he lives next door). It's not stuff you get to do every winter in Texas, so we are enjoying this "real winter weather" while we have it. It's will be 70 by this weekend.

4 comments:

jennifer said...

This may be a silly question, but do these rolls taste sweet or are they more of a dinner roll?? I've always been afraid to make my own bread, but these look super easy. Would love to know if the freezing idea works!

Kristen Ballard said...

No, they are not sweet. Even with the pumpkin and honey, they are a regular dinner roll.
I did have a leftover roll with butter and honey drizzled over it one morning- that was good!!

jennifer said...

Okay, so I am making a grocery list and want to make these. I went back and read the recipe/instructions again and you talk about the "squash mixture"...are you meaning to call it the "pumpkin mixture"? Just wanted to make sure I am not missing something!

Kristen Ballard said...

Yeah, it's the pumpkin. the instructions say squash mixture, since pumpkin is in the squash family (I guess), and I didn't change it. I hope they turn out good for you!